A Brief History
The Civic Center building was constructed as a high school in 1911. In 1937, when the new Watervliet High School was opened the Civic Center building was vacated and remained idle until 1946, when the Watervliet Rotary Club, along with a group of civic minded citizens, decided that a youth center was needed for the youth of Watervliet.
Prior to 1946 there was no indoor facility for the youth of Watervliet. The Watervliet Rotary and this group of civic minded citizens petitioned the City of Watervliet to turn the building over to them for renovation.
Three months later the Watervliet Civic Center opened for both the boys and girls of Watervliet. Now, over 69 years later, more than 800 youth, young adults and adults utilize our facility and participate in our program and activities each year.